Proverbs 2: King James Bible
Agreement with God – Daily Devotion of Proverbs chapter two, Verses 20-22
20 That thou mayest walk in the way of good men, and keep the paths of the righteous. 21 For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it. 22 But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
Daily Inspiration from These Verses
These are the remaining verses of chapter two, and are a great sum up of the entire chapter. We learn from the entirety of this chapter:
- Receive the Word of God = Believe what he’s saying.
- Hide his commandments with you = Write them upon the tablet of your heart.
- Incline your ear unto wisdom = Pay attention to what he’s teaching.
- Apply your heart to understanding = Incorporate his instruction into your life.
- Cry after knowledge = If it’s passed you by, chase it down.
- Lift up your voice for understanding = If you don’t get it, speak up and ask the Father.
- Seek wisdom and understanding as silver = Both are more precious than jewels.
- Search for them as if they’re hidden treasures = Nobody’s more ambitious than treasure hunters.
- Understand the fear of the Lord = Spiritually in a place to reap the benefits from the above.
- Find the knowledge of God = Self explanatory. Knowledge straight from the Creator of the Universe.
- Give us wisdom = To receive from him.
- Give us knowledge and understanding from his own mouth = Insight into said wisdom.
- Lay up wisdom for us = a lifetime supply for us to utilize and enjoy.
- Be our Buckler = Keep us safe against all things that would infringe on the above.
- Keep our path = Keep the trail blazed and clear before us.
- Preserve our way = Guide our feet, avoiding worldly pitfalls.
The verses above (20-22) are kind of like a cherry on top. The Father gives us instruction throughout this chapter, how he’s willing to respond to our willingness to search him out.
But in these last verses, he gives us a peek into the natural effect this has for us. Also, the effect of ignoring his instruction.
What this chapter shapes up to be, is an agreement that the Lord is offering us. If we understand this agreement and keep it, he will always prove himself faithful to do what he says he will do, as it is his own Word, and will not change his mind.
Related New Testament Scripture
James 1: King James Bible
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
Thank you for all that you’ve agreed to do for us. Help us however necessary, to stick to your instruction, keep our feet on the paths of the righteous, and to stay upright in your sight. Lead us by your Holy Spirit, and keep us safe from the infringements of this world. In Jesus mighty name we pray.
Question – Agreement with God
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to hold up your end of the agreement between you and the Father?
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs P.10 – Knowledge of God
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 2 P.12 – Narrow is the Way
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 7 P.61 – Protection of Wisdom
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 8 P.70 – Understand Wisdom