Do you want to know how to create a website? Has the Lord put it on your heart to go forward with an online presence for his glory? I’ve been asked several times how this site had come into existence. Some people like to think themselves professionals because they’ve learned a thing or two. Not this guy! Instead of attempting to be something I’m not, which is a website guru, I’ll point you to where I turned and was able to learn how to create my own successful website.
Yes I made sure to use that word successful. Because you can go anywhere (just about) to make a website, but that’s not true about making a successful website.
Build your Own Website
Why learn how to build your own website to serve the Lord in the first place? Aren’t there a ton of ways to serve God aside from making a site? Sure there is, but as I’ve been shown, there was only one way that the Lord wanted ME to do it. Maybe you feel that same pull?
For quite awhile I really didn’t want anything to do with creating a website, but the Lord would not leave me alone about it. He knew that internet usage has been doubled in the past five years, and is likely to double again as the years tick by. I on the other hand, did not think of things that way.
Finally I gave in and began to search for a good way to create a site. I wasn’t about to repeat any of the previous mistakes that I had made in the past (Click HERE to see what I mean), so for about 2 weeks I searched around prayerfully toying with what to do. The whole time in the back of my mind I was determined to do things the right way. The problem was I didn’t know what the right way was! My experience up to that point was only good to know what to avoid, instead of what to do. I needed to know how to create a website from scratch!
Ultimately I was lead by the Lord (so I am still convinced) to a place called Wealthy Affiliate. I honestly don’t remember the particular way I wound up checking them out, but I do remember my first reaction which was, ‘Oh here we go, a make me rich quick scheme.’ So I watched a video about them and to be honest, I remained skeptical.
Even the name “Wealthy Affiliate” left a sour taste in my mouth from the old days of trying to make money online to supplement my income back in the early 2000’s. But there was a flavor in the video that left me curious about what it was that they were trying to sell me, because one of the things that was touched upon was webpage design and hosting.
The problem really was that the video I was watching was centered on making money with the site that they teach you to create. I was more interested with what the Lord wanted me to do and how to do it. So I passed it off, but was left with the idea more than ever that I really needed to be educated about creating a website, if I wanted anyone to actually find it. After looking into all kinds of things, I kept running into Wealthy Affiliate over and over again.
What in the World is Wealthy Affiliate?
Finally I took a better look into them, and skeptically dug into what they are all about. After presenting it up to the Lord, I eventually took a stab at what they were promoting which I’ll be the first to tell you is an education. Their premium services are wide open for the first 7 days free, and you could keep on going with the site you created for free, so I figured no harm no foul.
After joining them and filling in my profile, I began their starter course and became pleasantly surprised that they were concentrating on all the wrong things when it came to marketing themselves. The amount of website based knowledge being made available is incredible! With confidence I can attest that there is more to be learned in the first three of those seven free trial days about creating a webpage, than I learned the entire time I was struggling with the a site I had previously grown white hairs over!
Here are some pro’s and con’s that I’ve learned about WA since I’ve joined up with them back in mid June of 2015.
- You learn from the ground up how to create a website
- It is free to try, and you can continue with the free program after the trial is over
- Site hosting for up to 2 sites for free
- Unlimited knowledge base concerning all areas of website creation and/or design
- No expensive website software necessary at all
- Quick and easy step by step instructions
- Seemingly endless SEO guidance (this has helped me in ways I never knew existed)
- A vast friendly community
- Incentives for helping others (no question is too dumb or too complicated)
- Tutorials everywhere from the ground up
- There are ways that you can make money with WA just as they advertise. I see people excited all the time about the fruits of their labor spawned from what they’ve learned. In my opinion, it eventually pays for itself.
- Gives you an advantage, helping you to use WordPress like a Pro.
- Legitimate website gurus in there, constantly giving heads up about the newest and best tactics to become attractive to search engines. This is something that I lacked greatly in the past.
- Their name is horrible in my opinion. Seemed scammy from the get go to me. It took allot of digging into their history and things of that nature before I learned otherwise. Needless to say a ton of prayer. Maybe the name was a good idea at the time of the company’s creation, I don’t know.
- A private domain is not included in the price of going premium. Even though you can grab a domain for cheap these days (which they point you to), for some reason I was expecting that to be included when I went premium. I was kind of annoyed about that at the time.
- The banners they use to promote their site I guess may be fine for some people, but for me, seeing piles of cash sends the wrong message, as it’s been done by countless “get rich quick” schemes. Like I said up above, they completely undersell what I believe is their true value, which is the education that keeps on going and going concerning the ins and outs of creating and maintaining a website. *UPDATE* They’ve since added some new banners that do exactly what I thought they should do… Promote their greatest service which is the education and instant help by the community! It’s nice to be heard!
A small update from 8/4/2016 – I have been associated with WA now for over a year, and still do not regret being affiliated with them. The training courses never stop coming, keeping up to date on all of the new best practices. It’s a good thing to keep informed on some fresh new ways to stay on top of what the search engines are doing.
I’ve got no real complaints actually. I made the decision to go premium to open up the program and get as much information made available as I could even though it wasn’t necessary to do so to keep on going with this site. So far, using the step by step tutorials about creating and structuring your site, both up front and also behind the scenes, this webpage has actually grown an audience that comes to check out this site daily. Check it out:
Screenshot taken in November of 2015
Screenshot update taken on September of 2016
Above, you’ll see a steady traffic flow increase through time between the two snapshots.
Doing my own thing in the past, I never received this kind of traffic on a daily basis. This stats page will show you the proof is in the pudding. Bear in mind that this site is only about six months old at the time of me writing all this. Plus, I took my time (which I wish I didn’t do) purchasing my own domain name for this site, so many things were reset as far as the search engines go (that was my bad for waiting).
I spend very little time spreading this website around and have learned how to make the content speak for itself, thanks to how the Lord leads me to add posts, and actually quite literally giving me what to write. I have time now to do so much more than in the past, answering questions, e-mails, ministering, etc.. I can actually concentrate on the content of the site instead of the focus being to finding someone to look at it. I wait on the Lord for the content, and have learned how to display it properly through Wealthy Affiliate.
To their credit for the record, I’ve found other Brothers and Sisters in the Lord that have also used this to aid in their online ventures. I run into them all the time in there. It is a friendly, completely interactive, and huge community for anyone including people of like minded faith! I just wanted to make sure to throw that in there, as it was something I thought was a potential issue in the beginning, but just simply isn’t.
Build your own successful website
If you are interested in avoiding a slew of mistakes while intending to build your own successful website, faith based or otherwise, here is more information that may be useful to determine whether or not this place would be right for you. Below are the differences between the starter and premium programs. You get everything you can see on the premium side for the first seven days, everything on the starter side you continue to keep if you stick to the free program. As you make your own website free of charge, you get a great flavor of what you’re going to learn as you move forward.
The information alone is worth every penny if you decide to go premium. I wound up making the decision to go premium about three days into the one week free trial period. However, there are some that decide to keep it free. So it’s not like you join up and lose any work you’ve put into your site if you decide not to go premium. Just letting you know because that wasn’t made clear to me in the beginning. If you do decide to go Premium, the first month is only $19.00.
So let’s start creating some webpages!
READ REAL TESTIMONIALS: Read Reviews
Learn How to Create a Website
FYI I would not recommend any affiliation with anyone that I didn’t come to trust. That is one reason I had not promoted WA with unwavering support in the past several months. But it’s been a good amount of time since I’ve become affiliate with them so I can say in truth, that WA works for me, they are legit, and can work for you too. I’ll be seeing you in there and I’m confident this is the best help I can offer you to learn how to create your own website! Feel free to ask away if you’ve got any questions.