Proverbs 11: King James Bible
Right and Wrong – Daily Devotion of Proverbs chapter eleven, Verse 3
3 The integrity of the upright shall guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them.
Daily Inspiration from These Verses – Right and Wrong
Let’s begin by taking a good look at two words that are misused from time to time. Both of these are brought to you by way of Dictionary.com.
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship’s hull.
1. willfully determined or disposed to go counter to what is expected or desired; contrary.
2. characterized by or proceeding from such a determination or disposition: a perverse mood.
3. wayward or cantankerous.
4. persistent or obstinate in what is wrong.
5. turned away from or rejecting what is right, good, or proper; wicked or corrupt.
Far too often, we skim through these kinds of words, only understanding them in a manner that we’d use in common modern day vernacular. Just take a look at the definition of the word perverse. Is any part of the definition above, a typical way we’d hear the word perverse used?
I don;t think so. More often than not, that particular word is used to describe someone with a dirty mind, to put it kindly. If someone said something sexually explicit to someone else, the other person may respond by calling him a pervert, or perverse. Right?
We don’t often use that word to represent someone contrary, wayward, wicked or corrupt. So when we find the word perverse being used in the Word, make sure to place it in the proper context.
Not only will you gain a further understanding about the point being made, but it may reel in the context of a given verse.
As far as the verse above, I think that it’s fairly self explanatory. But one thing I’d comment on, is the fact that integrity guides (at least according to this verse).
When we decide to do what’s right, over what’s wrong, we’ll head into the right direction. Fortunately for us, we’ve got the Holy Ghost to lead us in this, and make this even more possible through discernment, and clearing up the difference between what’s right and wrong; moral and immoral.
He often does this by bringing what we’ve learned throughout the Word of the Lord to the forefront of a situation, at a time when we may not have even thought of it. But integrity will take that information, and do what’s right with it.
Related New Testament Scripture
Philippians 2: King James Bible
14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings: 15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
1 Timothy 6: King James Bible
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
You are he who defines what’s right, and what’s wrong. Though this world enjoys perverting the differences between the two, and causing those who are willingly ignorant to revel in man’s twisted versions of the two, You are the One True God, and it’s your Word that will remain. Remove from us the damage that a world full of lies has done to our hearts, our minds, and our morality, and establish an upright spirit within us. Thank you Father, and this we pray in the mighty name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Have you ever felt that it’s usually much tougher to do what’s right, when confronted with having to make a decision between right and wrong?
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 13 P.158 – Satisfied Soul
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 11 P.113 – Build Up or Tear Down
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 17 P. 236 – The Carnal
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 15 P. 204 – Greedy of Gain
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 12 P.129 – Rottenness to the Bones