Proverbs 9: King James Bible
Way of Understanding – Daily Devotion of Proverbs chapter nine, Verse 6
6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
Daily Inspiration from These Verses – Way of Understanding
Let’s start this devotional taking a look at a couple of words, with definitions brought to us by Dictionary.com:
verb (used with object), forsook, forsaken, forsaking.
1. to quit or leave entirely; abandon; desert: She has forsaken her country for an island in the South Pacific.
2. to give up or renounce (a habit, way of life, etc.).
verb (used without object), went, gone, going.
1. to move or proceed, especially to or from something: They’re going by bus.
2. to leave a place; depart: People were coming and going all the time.
3. to keep or be in motion; function or perform as required: Can’t you go any faster in your work?
4. to become as specified: to go mad.
5. to continue in a certain state or condition; be habitually: to go barefoot.
6. to act as specified: Go warily if he wants to discuss terms.
7. to act so as to come into a certain state or condition: to go into debt; to go to sleep.
With a clear definition of what it may mean to “forsake” the foolish, the Father, in the most simple terms he could have used, tells us to take another action. This action would be to “go.”
Put them both together, we get the process of what it means to repent. To repent is to change course, or reverse direction. Should you be living foolishly, forsake that path and go as fast as you can into the right direction. In this case, that right direction would be to get your feet back on the way of understanding.
It says to forsake the foolish and life. Christ Jesus came, so that we may have life, and life more abundantly. Only few people who truly understand what that means, have refused to receive him, and walk down the way of that same understanding.
But the order this is written sets a precedence, that in order to get on the right track with the Lord, and walk the road that he’s established on our behalf, we must first forsake the foolish. If we think that we can adhere to the foolishness of the world, and the foolish people that are staunch against the Lord (either in word or in deed), and remain on that way of understanding, we’d soon find out that this manner of thinking is incredibly flawed.
We can be given all kinds of understanding, and the Holy Ghost can install all kinds of knowledge and wisdom into our brains. But when you introduce foolishness into that delicate balance of gifts, what you get is folly, false doctrine, stupid decision making, and typically excuses for bad or sinful behavior.
As always, the choice is ours as it relates to how we use what the Lord has been gracious enough to give.
Related New Testament Scripture
Luke 24: King James Bible
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 10: King James Bible
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
1 Corinthians 14: King James Bible
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
Ephesians 1: King James Bible
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
If we are walking down a foolish path, being found among foolish company, doing foolish things, talking foolish talk, and making foolish decisions, cause for us to forsake anything that is leading us down that road, and set our feet on the right path that you’ve prepared. Guide us down the way of understanding, through the power and might of your Holy Spirit. All so that we may please you, and fulfill any of the things that you’ve desired for us to partake in. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ we pray.
Ever notice how much more gratifying it is to the flesh, to walk in the way of the foolish, instead of walking in the way of understanding?
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 3 P.25 – Life to the Soul
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 8 P.70 – Understand Wisdom
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 5 P.42 – Pay Attention
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 19 P. 261 – How to Find Good
- Daily Inspiration from Proverbs 14 P.182 – Security of Understanding